The one billion challenge: How to pay for Climate-Neutral and Smart Cities
Cities want to become smart and climate-neutral, but public funds alone will not suffice. Private investors are also willing to invest, but how do we combine public and private funds to create Climate-Neutral Cities?
An estimated 96 Billion Euros are needed to achieve climate neutrality by 2030 for 100 European cities, as proposed by the European Commission and actively sought and supported by cities all over Europe. This level of investment will not only need to come from different sources, but also needs to be used in different sectors, each dependent on public and private financing. This session, organised by the Smart Cities Marketplace, will help answering the following questions:
- What cooperation models do we need?
- What’s the role of blended finance?
- How can cities develop attractive financial schemes?
- Can local green bonds be a solution?
- How can the experiences from different European Initiatives, projects and cities help guiding the way?